Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

i have the symptons of a urinary tract infection,but the test

i have the symptons of a urinary tract infection,but the test sample has come back normal,i am advised that urethritis doesn`t always show up on test,if that indeed is what i am suffering from?
As a matter of curiosity,why do we do a urine test just for an infection,when so much more can be diagnosed from a culture,i imagine it is the same when you have a blood test and check only for cholesterol,as i have had recently,as part of the NHS Health check for people in my age bracket.
kind regards
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
Urine tests shows us various abnormalities like sugar, protein, pus cells/ red blood cells or any components of stones {calculi} in bladder. Urine culture is used to look for the organism and see which antibiotic it is sensitive to.
I would get ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis to look for any renal or bladder calculi/ prostate size as these can also present with symptoms similar to infection OR can increase the chances of infection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.Good Advice.

Could i just clarify that the urine test i have received then, will just have been tested for an infection,and no abnormalities like you mentioned would have shown up?

kind regards

Urine test would show up all the abnormalities and not just specific infection markers.