How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 49176
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

Hi, I am male, aged 54 and have discoid ecxema. I have it on

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am male, aged 54 and have discoid ecxema. I have it on the inside of my right heel and on my right shin. What were patches about 2 inches across have spread over the last few weeks so that my heel patch is about 3 inches across and my on my shin it is about 4x7 inches which i'm finding quite alarming and depressing, I regularly use Aveeno and additive free moisturisures as advised although I do not actually have dry skin, these help stop itching but don't reduce the eczema, I have tried a low dose hydrocortizone cream which for the first 2 days was like a miracle cure in that all the flakiness stopped and my skin went just smooth and pink but the cream made the eczema patches spread rapidly so I stopped using it.
The patch on my shin is often quite red and feels hot and my leg is getting a bit swollen below the eczema over the last week. Nothing seems to stop it spreading, please help! I take Loratadine as our cat makes me sneeze and my eyes water and I am allergic to biological washing powder but nothing else that I know of. I am slim, fit and active with no other health problems so this is really getting me down
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,
This is Dr. David

discoid eczema is also called Nummular dermatitis

you can read more about it here

you really need to see a dermatologist and get stronger prescription steroid creams such as butamethasone topical steroid cream or fluocinonide steroid creams

the over the counter low potency steroid creams are not strong enough to treat this

are you willing to see a dermatologist?
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 49176
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Dr. David and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you