How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35578
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have had lower back pains for a couple of years always at

Customer Question

I have had lower back pains for a couple of years always at night when trying to sleep. Now almost every day I have pain in my hips and legs which has gotten to the point where I feel this through out the day. I am always feeling fatigue as I don't sleep very well at all. And the pain is most prominent in my hips when I try to get out of chairs from sitting down. Also my leg pain can get to the point where I limp. I am a 25 year old male, and I try to walk everywhere as I don't drive, I also stand up for 9 hours per day at work. What can I do to get rid of these aches and pains? Also what does this sound like? My gp said it is just 'lower mechanical back pain' however I feel it must be something else.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Have you had any tests like x-rays or an MRI? How about blood work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I have had no tests or MRI or blood work. My gp examined me but her diagnosis was 'lower mechanical back pain' she told me to exercise and take painkillers. I feel that it can't just be that though as I say I have the pain in my legs every day, it's mostly in the buttocks where my hip and leg join is.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I disagree with that oversimplistic diagnosis. You need an MRI of your lumbar spine to look for disk problems and I'd also include your hips to look for problems there. I'd also get an autoimmune blood panel--antinuclear antibody, rheumatoid factor, sed rate, and C reactive protein--to look for thinks like ankylosing sponylitis or even rheumatoid arthritis. Ask you doctor about all of that.