How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36097
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

My daughter has severe mood swings and has recently been saying

This answer was rated:

My daughter has severe mood swings and has recently been saying that she doesn't want to be here anymore. I am getting pretty desperate in getting advice as to how to deal with her when she has these mood swings. I have tried speaking to her own doctor but he doesn't seem interested. My daughter will not seek advice herself and I am getting very concerned about her well being. Is there anyway that I could get an appointment to see a psychiatrist myself so that I could tell him in detail about her behaviour and maybe then he could help me to deal with her. She is 35 years old so I cannot force her to see her doctor and even if I did, I know she wouldn't tell him anything as she will not discuss her feelings. I cannot cope anymore with these mood swings, she becomes very confused, child like and extremely rude.
Any help you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.
Hi--first question here--are you saying she has basically talked about suicide?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, although the following day she doesn't mention it.

OK Wendy. We can continue after this if you'd like. If a psychiatrist is informed that she has voiced suicidal ideations, she can be committed to a psychiatric ward for at least three days where she will have to see a psychiatrist and he can determine whether she needs a longer commitment and if she needs antidepressant medications and regular therapy sessions. So my answer is yes you should on your own go private and talk to a psychiatrist about this. You should first, though, let her doctor know she's suicidal if he isn't aware of that.
Dr. Chip and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you