How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36150
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

Can allergy cause tinnitus? It's in my left ear and has been

This answer was rated:

Can allergy cause tinnitus? It's in my left ear and has been a constant and loud whirring sound for about a year. Is there anything that can treat it? I have other symptoms but this was the first to appear.
Hi. First off have you had any tests for the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Only visited doctor a year ago when it had been two weeks, then again this year as it continued. The other symptoms are constant sore throat, shortness of breath, pain esp in Upper back, intermittent wheezing, dizziness, also have numbness in hands and legs, esp when I wake up. Always needing to frequently blow my nose

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cont... As there are too many secretions. The ear was cleaned which lessened the tinnitus a lot but doctor not interested in doing that again and prescribed antihistamines but they did nothing. The only thing to help had been antibiotics but I can't take them all the time and the doctor was very unhelpful. Thank you for your help.

Sorry for the delay. Do you have any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CRPS, though the pain of that is very different to the pain in my upper back. The CRPS started when I was 22, I'm now 37. Thanks ever so much.

OK Joa and we can continue after this if you'd like. It sounds like you may have two problems here--a chronic sinusitis problem and what's called Eustachian tube dysfunction where the tube from the middle ear to your pharynx is either partially or completely blocked. You need a ct scan of your sinuses and I would put you on a short course of prednisone that should take care of the tube problem. A Neti pot or a saline nasal irrigations system might, for now, help with your symptoms
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. So are all the symptoms connected to a chronic sinusitis problem and Eustachian tube dysfunction? The pain in my upper back is severe enough for me to have increased my opioid medication (oxycodone, also on fentanyl patches). Would they also cause excessive secretions and phlegm? Just obviously concerned as so short of breath and the pain being so severe is also concerning. Thanks ever so much for your help!

Yes to both Joa. And the sinusitis would cause the excessive secretions and the phlegm. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. One last thing as I'm not able to have a scan without seeing the doctor again but cannot afford to at the moment. Would anything from the chemist help at all? Is it worth trying antihistamines? Presumably prednisone is prescription only. I actually already use a neti pot but symptoms have been worsening for over a year now so longing for anything to lessen them. Is the back pain due to excessive mucus too?

Yes the back pain is due to the mucus. Try a nasal saline irrigation system
Dr. Chip and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you ever so much. You've been so helpful. Only wish I could tip more. Have a great day.

My pleasure Jea--any time