How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. K. Your Own Question
Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4831
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. K. is online now

My mum had a stroke 7 years ago in france and my brother and

Customer Question

My mum had a stroke 7 years ago in france and my brother and i want to take her OUT of the nursing home she is in and transport her to the uk so we can see her more frequently. Can she be transport ate d by plane or should she travel by boat. Do we need a nurse with us? She is peg fed and we know nothing bout this.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still need assistance with question

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
She can travel via plane with a peg tube which is safer. How long is the flight? Does she have any mobility at all? What other problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From toulouse in france to heathrow is 2 hrs.Then there is an hours drive each side. I have no nurse training and i am quite worried about the journey.Cant afford to hire a private nurse. What will i need to be aware of? My mum is 73.Been in a hospital since auto accident 7 years ago and is only now being released as well enough by doctors to return to uk.

Is there a uk government agency that can help me?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
You have to give me more information about your mothers condition as I asked above so I can help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My mum has a stroke 7 years ago following an auto accident which left her unable to walk again, eat again [ peg fed] or speak again.She understands everything however. She has use of her arms and upper body. She was diagnosed with diabetes a few years back. She has been in a rehab hospital for 4 years and now a nursing home. She suffers from depression according to doctor but family in uk believe its because she is cut off from family and in a foreign country. She doesn't understand french. Its just where the accident happened and thats how she got to be in this situation. She wants to return to the uk- she expresses in various ways she wants to go home with us every time we visit. We do not know who her doctor was when she lived in the uk.

The doctor in france says she is ready to go home.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
You should easily be able to bring her in a car and on a plane as long as you can get her in and out of a wheelchair and toilet her. You will first need to learn how to do the feedings if you are to bring her with you. If you need help you dont need a nurse at all, you just need a home health aide. Unfortunately the government is not going to help you with that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do i hire a home health aid?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Here is a large home health agency to take a look at