How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19461
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

my husband keeps finding faults in me ,keeps saying I'm thick

This answer was rated:

my husband keeps finding faults in me ,keeps saying I'm thick and don't know anything and I'm mental and don't know anything about anything ,I don't do anything with my life ,got no interests .I agree that I can't remember things at times ,get words wrong say something which didn't make sense spell words wrong at he thinks I need to see a psychiatrist so please can you help me cause I find it soo hard to consantrate and do anything because of all this abuse ,I have been married for 17years and have 2lovely children but feel my life and marriage is just going down hill.
Hello from JustAnswer.

When you ask whether we can help you, it depends upon what help you are seeking.

Over the internet, we can help from the perspective of discussing possible medical problems that may be causing these symptoms.

However, we cannot make a definitive diagnosis nor provide treatment, so it still would be necessary to be seen.

Would this discussion be helpful to you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't think I need treatment ,just advice on what I can do to make things better

The most common cause of the symptoms that you describe is clinical depression. Depression is more than simply a feeling of sadness, and can also cause difficulty concentrating or thinking properly. Depression also can affect appetite or sleep, and can cause an increase or decrease in either.

It is not always clear what causes depression, but years of physical or psychologic abuse from a spouse certainly is one of the possible causes of depression. In addition, once a woman in an abusive relationship becomes depressed, it becomes harder to take any necessary steps to end the abusive relationship.

In someone with more significant symptoms related to depression, it is appropriate to be treated, most often with an antidepressant. Many people with depression can be managed by their primary care physician. It is only a small percentage that do not respond well to antidepressants that may require consultation with a Psychiatrist.

There are some home interventions that can be tried to help with these symptoms, although it is only recommended for people that do not have more significant symptoms. There are some supplements that may be helpful, including 5-HTP and SAMe. Several B vitamins, such as vitamins B6 and B12 and folic acid, may help with this. There also is an herb, St. John’s wort, that has an effect similar to prescription antidepressants, although not as potent.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you