How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36097
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

Hello, I am 56 and do have a two year history of RA, which

Customer Question

Hello, I am 56 and do have a two year history of RA, which is reasonably under control at the moment.
However, since Thursday, I have had quite severe pain running across my right scapula and down my right arm. No numbness as such although some tingling in my right hand today. I cannot sit in a chair without pain that is moving from my forearm to lower arm and then back up to neck and last night I found it very difficult to lie and sleep in any position with the pain in my arm. Had a very poor night. The pain is either very sharp or a very 'heavy' ache in my upper or lower arm but is constantly moving. The only relief I get is when I lift my arm above my head.
I have had hot baths, am taking ibroprofen 400mg 6 hourly, have used heat sprays. I already take tramadol and paracetamol for the RA.
I cannot recall anything major that would have caused such pain though I know its easy enough to pull a muscle without realising it.
I'm an ex -nurse and very reluctant to go to Casualty but am really starting to get very upset because nothing is helping the pain and it seems to be getting worse.
Any advice please. many thanks, Elli
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. This definitely sounds like a nerve compression problem, most like a nerve root compression in your cervical spine from a disk and that can happen without any real trauma. Because of the severity of your symptoms, I'd suggest that you see a doctor today and get an MRI of your cervical spine. After that, I would refer you to a physiatrist--physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a hands-on customized treatment program that should relieve your pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Elli

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Elli but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you