Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

dental question can a infection in teeth be that bad that

dental question
can a infection in teeth be that bad that you would require antibiotics for 4 weeks i had first pat of a root canal done a 2 weeks ago and i have suffered excruiating pain since i had an infection prior to the root canal i have had in total now 4 courses of antibiotic and feel that it is something to do with the root canal can you help
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
still need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what further information do u want

Yes, it absolutely can
sometimes prolonged antibiotics are required to take care of a deep infection
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you have to have an xray to clarify if there are no other visable symptoms

No
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would you get extreme pain from having the first part of a root canal done if it was not packed appropriately

yes that could happen
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so therefore would you agree that this may be the cause of the pain and not an infection at all as when i had an infection in the past my mouth would of been very swollen and the antibiotics would have worked after the first course

I would say that that is possible
without knowing the full case I can't say for sure but I can say it is possible
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have you came across this before its just that my dentist insists its an infection however the pain started straight after my first part of root canal treatment i would just like something concrete where i could suggest to my dentist that it may be the root canal as she wont finish the root canal process untill im pain free however i feel my pain is nothing to do with an infection

I have encountered this before.
it is a form of inflammation in the socket.
I would ask about that. Ask if it could possible be socket irritation
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)