How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36145
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I am suffering bouts of depression that involve an obsessive

This answer was rated:

I am suffering bouts of depression that involve an obsessive fixation with
>> my Wife's previous relationship history. It is at a point where it threatens
>> to severely damage or maybe even destroy an otherwise very happy marriage.>
>> I am in my second marriage. We have been married for 16 years and have two
>> Daughters. My first marriage came to an end because I had an affair with the
>> woman who is now my Wife. The trouble is that there was a period of years
>> between leaving my first wife and eventually marrying again, during which
>> time my current wife experimented with a number of other men and had a
>> sexual relationship with one of them.>>
>> All of this was nearly 20 years ago but I am finding that it preys on my
>> mind whenever I get down, which has been happening more and more frequently
>> in recent months.
Hi Sorry for the delay. Have you seen a therapist about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have started to see a councilor who is taking a self-help approach to me dealing with the issue.

I'm concerned that it might be a more serious mental health issue.

OK Mike. How exactly is this affecting your present marriage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My Wife has been supportive but after weeks of me reminding her of an episode she'd rather forget, it is now causing some degree of strain

OK--what exactly did you mean by a self approach type of therapy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

trying to get me to use control techniques to deal with the thoughts when they arise. i.e. consciously "tear up the images" black out the thoughts.

Suggestion that physical activity might help.

Admit the anger and deal with it - don't suppress it.

These are helping but I am worried that I am suffering from a mental health problem that needs medical attention

I understand Mike. Do you consider yourself significantly depressed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, sometimes I go into a silent state, consumed by these thoughts and unable to communicate with anybody

OK Mike that sounds like a significant clinical depression and while the therapy you're getting now may help somewhat I think you need to see a psychiatrist and you need to be put on an antidepressant medication like Zoloft or Effexor. I'm very much for therapy but there are times when medication is also needed and in your case I think you need both therapy and medication
Dr. Chip and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you