How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

Hi, my 2 and a half year old appears to have a small lump underneath

This answer was rated:

Hi, my 2 and a half year old appears to have a small lump underneath the foreskin of his penis, near the top to one side. It looks unusual to me and in reading online some people were advising of similar instances and that it may be smegma or a cyst, and to retract the foreskin. Other sites were saying that in no circumstance should you ever retract foreskin as it could lead to bleeding or real damage. But yet I don't want to leave it in case it's an infection. I am very concerned as to what to do, I wouldn't even trust my GP as previous articles said not to listen to GPs or other health professionals as it's not taught in medical school! Please help
The foreskin should be retracted and cleaned underneath.
This is common hygiene
Has this child seen a doctor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No Should I bring him my GP asap? Why would some sites like say not to retract under any circumstances? They said that you should only clean what you see, and that the foreskin might be fused to the tip of the penis and it would similar to taking the nail off your finger to clean underneath!
It sounds like you are not getting instruction, and he should have been seeing a doctor since birth.
The doctor can tell of there is a problem with the foreskin.
If it does not retract naturally of course you should not force it.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.