How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

Hi, I have a question on anti biotics

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a question on anti biotics
what is your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my 7 month old daughter had a cold last week and at the weekend progressed to a fever, she had the fever for around 48 hours which I controlled with paracetamol, I took to my gp on Monday morning and she said she looks like she had tonsillits, probably viral but when she checked she said she saw one white spot so she prescribed anti biotics. While we were at the gp she was a lot happier and temp had gone but I gave her 1 dose (2.5ml) but since she's been fine, no fever and is happy so I think it was just viral. I know your supposed to continue anti biotics and I of course would if it were bacterial or I was a few days in but do I need to if I gave one dose and my baby is fine. I'm regretting not holding on a few hours and checking if the fever had gone. The gp originally said I could take them away and wait 24 hours and I wish I did now, I don't want to give my baby unnecessary anti biotics as there's side effects with them. Thank you
There is no reason to continue the antibiotics if they were not necessarily.
It is a misconception that an inappropriately prescribed antibiotic has to be continued once you have the first pill.
The only reason to continue would be if the baby had strep.
That needs to be discussed with the examining doctor.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh thank you so much, I was hoping that would be the answer. So she won't build up an antibiotic resistance to this type of antibiotic from stopping after one dose? My guy feeling was to stop as she's fine now, and if she got worst I would certainly get her checked out ASAP. How would I know if she got strep throat? I'm assuming she would get a lot worst rather than be getting better. She does still have a runny nose and slight cough but not a persistent cough, is that ok? She's much happier than at the weekend and no more fever. Feeding fine too :)
No, resistance is more likely if the antibiotic was unnecessary and is continued.