Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.

My son commenced a cold like illness several weeks ago, his

My son commenced a cold like illness several weeks ago, his cough has become pesistant it is harsh and takes his breath away, consulted his GP who prescribed 5 days Amoxicillin.
Cough still pesists, he says he does not feel poorly but worries that his cough is taking his breath away.
Hi. Did the GP take any cultures or get a chest x-ray? Is your son 44?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son is 44 years old. GP DID NOT TAKE CULTURES

OK Ann. Any wheezing and if the cough is productive of any phlegm is that clear or colored?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no wheezing, no sputum harsh dry cough that takes his breath and he becomes anxious about this

OK Ann. In that case he needs to see the doctor right away or at least get in touch with him. I'd get a chest x-ray to look for pneumonia and, quite frankly, amoxicillin is not a very effective antibiotic for bronchitis or pneumonia--I usually prescribe either a ZPak or Levaquin