How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35573
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

my husband, aged 70 has suffered from severe depression for

Customer Question

my husband, aged 70 has suffered from severe depression for years. He has made 4 suicide attempts, and on 3 occasions very nearly succeeded. These are NOT "cries for help" but genuine attempts to end his life.
At the present time I believe he intends to make another attempt, having locked himself away. he has disabled the 'phone, and in any event would refuse the attendances of paramedics. likewise he would refuse to allow himself hospital admittance.
I am worried sick. he is a good man, and I love him desperately. Please help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this if you need to but if you yourself have access to a phone you need to call the police. Since he's obviously a danger to himself they can forcibly take him to the hospital where a psychiatrist can put him in a locked ward under suicide surveillance and he can be medicated and receive therapy sessions there whether he agrees or not