Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.

oncology question

oncology question
--what's your question please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

, my mum has just had her oesophagus stretched as she has just finished chemoradiotherapy and it narrowed. She had it done on Wednesday lunchtime but is still having problems swallowing things, is this normal? thanks.

Diane. Did the procedure help her swallowing at all or are things worse now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To be honest, it seems a little worse. She had it done because food was getting blocked

OK--sorry questions but is she able to swallow liquids at least?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem just glad help, liquid just about goes down. I am sitting with her at the moment and a cup of tea is going down

Didn't disappear Diane. We can continue after this but I think she's OK. The procedure does cause some inflammation of the esophagus that will lessen with time. So long as she can get down enough liquids including broths and soups she should be better in a day or so. If it gets to the point where even liquids won't go down you need to notify her doctor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much help it has put our mind at rest. Do you just think it is still inflammed then as it was done Wednesday. Also, one last question if you don't mind, if needed how many times can this procedure be carried out.

Yes--the inflammation can take a few days to resolve Diane. The procedure can be repeated in about two weeks if needed