Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.

I've had a cough on and off weeks... I only seem to cough

I've had a cough on and off for 5 weeks... I only seem to cough when I have phlegm which worsens in the night. It started as an intense cough but sometimes I inky cough 6-7 times in a day.
I have a runny nose and the cough comes from chest - I don't smoke
Hi--have you seen a doctor about this? What color is the phlegm and do you have a fever with this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No fever and no doctors phlegm is mainly clear
OK. Any problem with heartburn or indigestion? Any chest pain with this? And have you tried anything over the counter for it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Corvina and no no pain or heartburn it started off as a bad cough but now it's lingering
OK. First off, any cough lasting this long needs a doctor's evaluation and a chest x-ray since it could be pneumonia even without a fever. Another possibility would be silent gastric acid reflux--without the heartburn. Finally it might be an allergy problem. For now you could try a week's worth of Zantac and Claritin to see if that clears it but the most prudent thing to do would be to have a doctor take a look at you