How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19331
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Control of pain associated with Popeye muscle.

Customer Question

Control of pain associated with Popeye muscle.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Which anti-inflammatory medicine has been tried? At what dose?
How long has this been bothering you?
Are you taking any medicines for other medical problems?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

Conservative treatment when there has been a tear of the biceps tendon usually includes the use of local care, such as ice for the first couple days and moist heat thereafter, anti-inflammatory medicines, and rest, followed later by progressive exercises.

I ask about the anti-inflammatory medicine and dose because it may require a higher dose than is usually taken with the over the counter strengths. Optimal anti-inflammatory activity is achieved with 1600-2400 mg per day of ibuprofen or 1000-1500 mg per day of naproxen. There are prescription strength pills of 800 mg of ibuprofen and 500 mg of naproxen, both intended to be taken 2-3 times per day, but it is also OK to take an equivalent amount of the over the counter strength. It is also fine to augment the anti-inflammatory medicine with acetaminophen/paracetamol.

If these conservative measures are not effective at controlling pain, then the doctor may consider using an opiate pain medicine, usually a milder medicine, such as codeine or hydrocodone. It also may be necessary to consider surgical interventions if conservative measures are not effective.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.