Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.

. My daughter recently gave birth to a little girl. While

My daughter recently gave birth to a little girl. While in hospital they put the baby on intravenous antibiotics. I was told that her mother was infected with the strep B bacteria and that this may have been passed on to the baby at birth.
I have never heard of this before and how did my daughter contract it.
Also how will this affect the baby.

Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like but the strep B bacteria is present in about 25% of women's vaginas and it isn't often a true infection, and it isn't an STD. But a pregnant woman with strep B in her vagina can transmit that to her baby during delivery and that's why the baby needed the antibiotics. Properly treated there's no real harm to the baby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will the baby carry it into adulthood and have the same problem herself if and when she has a baby

No, that won't be carried into adulthood and will have no risk for her having a child.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My pleasure but please remember to rate my service to you Ruth