How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Robert Your Own Question
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Robert is online now

my girlfriend has had a smear test done and results state she

Customer Question

my girlfriend has had a smear test done and results state she has HPV, should I be worried?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your girl friend's discomfort due to HPV. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions
HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STI).
HPV is spread by skin-to-skin contact — usually during vaginal, anal, or oral sex.
There is currently no HPV treatment to cure HPV itself. Most HPV infections are harmless, do not require treatment, and go away by themselves.
In most cases, HPV goes away on its own and does not cause any health problems. But when HPV does not go away, it can cause health problems like genital warts.
Although the HPV infection itself cannot be treated, treatments are available for the effects of HPV infections like if she has genital warts.
A reliable way to collect a sample of male genital skin cells that would allow detection of HPV has yet to be discovered, there is currently no FDA-approved HPV test for men.
Currently, there is no test designed or approved to find HPV in men. The only approved HPV test on the market is for women, for use as part of cervical cancer screening.
So if you have any symptoms like warts or any other symptom that bothers you,then you need to get examined by your doctor.
If you do not have any symptoms-then there is nothing to worry.
Abstaining from sex is best.
Use condoms every time you have sex with your girl friend.They can reduce the risk of HPV.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert