Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.

I have lots of phlegm in my throat. it is constant, and i have

I have lots of phlegm in my throat. it is constant, and i have it for four years.I have tried
lots of remedies including nasal spray but nothing seems to work. I have been to my doctor
several times but he keeps recommending over the solutions. Can you please help.

Hi. Can you tell me more about the phlegm? Is it clear or colored? Is this a constant--throughout the day--problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is clear,it is constant during the day and night resulting in lack of sleep

OK Noel. What kind of nasal sprays have been tried?

Have you had a ct scan of your sinuses?

Any problems with indigestion or heartburn?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know the names of the nasal sprays,they were on prescription from my doctor.

I do suffer from indigestion but not constantly.I have not had a ct scan

OK Noel. We can certainly continue beyond this if you'd like. There are two possibilities here:

A chronic sinus congestion/infection condition with postnasal drip

Gastric acid reflux that is inflaming your nasopharynx and causing the sinus inflammation

I would ct your sinuses to look for the first cause and I would have you try over the counter Prilosec or Pepcid AC for two weeks to see if that cleared your problem. If it did, I would still have you undergo upper endoscopy to look for esophageal damage from the reflux.

If it's a sinus problem I'd give you a two week round of antibiotics for that