How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36124
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have a red penis and stings a bit when I go to toilet, I

This answer was rated:

I have a red penis and stings a bit when I go to toilet, I have had every test done including Std's and all is normal. I am 37yr old male and I have had this now 2yrs and really sick of it. Can someone help

Hi. It would help greatly if you could post a photo on this page but if that isn't possib le can you describe the problem with your penis?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry can't send it. Red around the head and stings a bit when going to toilet, always red and seems to be worse and sore after masterbation. What do you think?

Thanks Barry--and we can continue after this if you'd like. This is one of two things. First off, and most likely, it's balanitis--a yeast infection of the penis and not an STD. On your own you can try Lamisil cream three times a day for two weeks and that should clear it up, but, if it doesn't, then you'd need prescription ketoconazole cream. The other possibility would be an inflammatory eczema and for that a cortisone based cream would work. But I'd try the Lamisil first since if it's yeast the cortisone could actually make it worse. All that said, you should have a dermatologist look at this if you haven't seen one as yet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are there something that I can just get out of chemist or do they need to be prescribed? Thanks

No, both the Lamisil and a cortisone cream are over the counter at the chemists. Give it a try and let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you Barry
Dr. Chip and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you