How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 53698
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

There This may be a question dermatologist (not

This answer was rated:

Hi There
This may be a question for a dermatologist (not sure). Long story short: I believe I am allergic to my girlfriend.
We have going out for a year and a half. I see her every second weekend or so & she usually stays around for a few days. Within the end of first or sometime during the second day I begin to develop an itch which tends to travel all over my body. This condition usually lasts for several days. Over time she's tried changing all of her cosmetics, detergent, shampoos etc. but nothing seems to resove the issue. I only experience this problem when she visits. I have no known allergies. I know this problem is not psychosomatic because the itching is so bad it often wakes me from a deep sleep. There are no rashes or marks on my skin that I can see.
I'm led to the possibility that I may be allergic/sensitive to her saliva or some hormone/ferimone that she is excreeting. This may sound crazy: while I'm not crazy, this issue is driving us both insane.
While it would seem to be rare, I don't think it's impossible & I've seen this issue being discussed by medical professionals in an Irish Times article:

Hi. Interesting situation here. The most interesting part is that you don't get a rash or hives. Potentially you might be allergic either to her saliva or her sweat. There are some things you could do about this. First would be to take either 24 hour Claritin or Zyrtec a day before she visits and every day thereafter until she leaves. I still think you should see an allergist for allergy testing because this may still be from her clothing or her deoderant or makeup and it would be helpful to find out exactly what the cause is here

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your prompt response. I suppose the exact information I require is as follows: in the Daily Mail newspaper article which I linked, the doctor suggests that a test exists to determine whether the patient was allergic to his girlfriend's hormones. Do you know which type of test he refers to? And where would I get this test done? Thanks.
OK Mick. It would be less likely that you were allergic to her hormones per say, but an allergist can do skin testing and blood work to see exactly what you are allergic to. And, once the cause is found, he can give you a series of desensitizing injection that will, in time, stop this reaction from happening
Dr. Chip and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again Dr Chip. I do agree that it may be the least likely situation, but we're it to be the case do you have any idea the type of tests that would be used to test against her saliva, sweat & hormones? And who could carry out these tests? Kind regards, Mick.
Again Mick, an allergist is the specialist qualified to address allergies, test for them, and treat them with desensitizing injections. Skin scratch tests can be designed to test for exotic things like another person's saliva, hormones, sweat, etc. I still think it's more likely this is her makeup, deodorant, perfumes, soaps, detergents, and those can be tested for as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your assistance.
My pleasure Mick but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to