How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9823
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now

I have pain in my arm,from the shoulder to my hand,it's just

This answer was rated:

I have pain in my arm,from the shoulder to my hand,it's just like a bad toothache, laying in bed makes it worse, I have had for five days now and it is difficult to get any sleep ,also on the same hand blisters are breaking out and painful my hand swollen badly I am 71 years of age can get some idea what it is regards dave
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any picture that you could attach here?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are these blisters tiny or large?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long are you having this problem?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been seen for this as yet?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

I would appreciate it if you answer the questions that I have asked above so that I can help you out in a better way.
Please do not rate me for my services until you have received an answer.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the blisters are three to four millimetres are clustered together
I have had the problem 5 days
So I have seen anybody yet as you know. It is a holiday and we been advised not to visit hospital as they have epidemi regards dave
You are having what is called as Shingles. Shingles is a viral infection that causes a painful rash. Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.
The diagnosis is clinical and usually no lab tests are required.
prompt treatment with prescription antiviral drugs such as zovirax (acyclovir) can speed healing and reduce your risk of complications. For the pain you may require nerve pain medications like pregabalin or gabapentin.
With the symptoms that you are having, there is no harm in visiting the emergency, particularly if your symptoms are severe.
If your symptoms are not severe and you feel you can wait it out for you GP to see it, then that is what I would do.
Meanwhile you can take over-the-counter pain medications like ibuprofen for the pain at a dose of 400 mg two to three times a day as required.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have noticed the blisters have to the top of the arm ,also I have a stroke so how many pain killers can have as take 300 Mls of aspirin to thin my blood thanks Dave
Since you are already taking 300 mg aspirin to thin your blood, I would then, recommend that you should take an extra dose of 300 mg of aspirin for the pain, if it is severe.
Aspirin is not only a blood thinner but also a pain medication at higher doses i.e. two tablets.
Let me know if you have more questions. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kind regards
Dr. SH and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you