How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 53698
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have numerous red spots on my body, some large, some small.

This answer was rated:

I have numerous red spots on my body, some large, some small. I had heart failure
due to damaged valves caused by rheumatic fever when I was ll. I am now 74 years
of age. I was told by a doctor that the rash would not go onto my face, but recently
one or have appeared around my eyes. Would appreciate any advice you can give.

Hi It would be very helpful if you could post a photo on this page but if that isn't possible--

Can you describe the spots in detail?

Do they itch?

How long have you had them?

And have you had any treatment for them?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They differ in size, they are bright red and do not itch.

I have not had any treatment and have had them a long time but

as I have got older they have increased and are now all over mbody and spreading onto my arms, legs and neck.

And are they completely flat and smooth?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The smaller ones are flat but the larger ones are bright red

and raised.

OK. We can continue after this if you'd like but this sounds like either a case of inflammatory eczema or perhaps a contact dermatitis allergic reaction. Daily benadryl or Claritin combined with a cortisone cream may take care of this but more effective would be a short course of oral prednisone from your doctor. After that, if there's no change, you need to see a dermatologist for a biopsy of one of these spots to determine exactly what it is and for more intensive therapy
Dr. Chip and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you