Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

, I a have abused stimulant narcotics years.

hello, I a have abused stimulant narcotics for serval years. I tend to suddenly develop a craving - seemlingy from no where, and from then on drug seeking behaviour kicks in hard. It relents once the craving is satisifed and then I am normal for many weeks before the cycle repeats.
Please advise

Hi. Just to clarify here are you saying you get the craving, take drugs for a time, and then the craving goes away and you stop the drug? And what drug in particular are we referring to?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live a normal life, then one day I'm hit with almost unstoppable cravings (stimulants, Cocaine, Mephedrone).

I usually obtain them, use them for short period (8-24hrs) then cease.

At this points (and thereafter for some months) there is NO desire

OK. When you suddenly have the desire is there any particular stress in your life at the time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is some stress I guess, either work related or medical. But no so great that I feel it is driving me to it

Well we can continue after this if you'd like but this is a binge problem--just like some people binge with alcohol--drinking heavily for one or two days at a time and then leaving it alone for a long period of time. It isn't really a true addiction but it is similar to one. If the behavior bothers you I suggest you see a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy which should prevent you from going back to the drugs from time to time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the binge - what triggers this ? and is it preventable?

It isn't always a particular trigger but stress or emotional turmoil can be one trigger. The usage is preventable by getting the cognitive behavioral therapy I mentioned