How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

This is a bit of a strange situation ! My eldest son,he's

This answer was rated:

This is a bit of a strange situation for me ! My eldest son,he's 27 this year, has a problem with weed,I suspect other drugs. He is talking about killing himself, being abusive in text messages to myself, friends and his ex. I don't know where to turn. When he was fifteen he came with me to our local go to seek help on coming off weed. There was none available until he was eighteen. He desperately needs help as his rages are getting worse. Can you help ?


In fact the only think you can do is report this if he is a potential harm to himself or others.

Since he has threatened harming himself, he can be put on a 3 day hold for hospital evaluation. His doctor can initiate this, for example.

If it is determined that he truly is at risk, the medical hold can be extended.

This is really not a self help situation in terms of what you can do, as he is 27.

Additional information:

If he wants help, then finding him an addiction medicine specialist would be the best avenue.

OK, so that is an initial answer…. Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

DrRussMD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you