How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29282
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now

I've had a problem that's been going on months. I've

This answer was rated:

I've had a problem that's been going on for four months. I've seen my GP and a specialist, neither of whom has a clue what it is, and I've now been referred to another specialist. In the meantime, I'm incredibly anxious.
My symptoms are:
1. The part of my vestibule, north of my urethra, is raw and tender to the touch, and sometimes develops very small open sores (ulcer-like?) which heal and are then replaced.
2. My urethral meatus, on the right hand side, possibly the Skene's gland, is red and swollen - but doesn't hurt.
There's no / minimal itching.
Tests for virus, bacteria and fungus have come back negative.
We can safely assume it's not an STI or an allergy.
I'm scared it could even be cancer since I don't have a clue what else it could be. Can you give any sort of diagnosis based on the above?
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
I understand your concerns.
It is reassuring, atleast not any infection.
At your age I will not worry about cancer right away.
That s very low risk.
More likely will be an autoimmune disorder.
Autoimmune disorder is caused by the hyperactivity of the immune system.
The immune system attacks the urethral lining andcauses ulcers swelling etc.
Behcet's syndrome is one such example.
This is a less common condition but strongly suspected in your case.
Reiter's syndrome is another possibility.
However we also tend to see eye involvement and joint involvement over time.
You should ideally consult with an immunologist or a rheumatologist as well.
A urogynecologist should be consulted with as well to do a biopsy also.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
Dr Basu and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you