How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35560
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

My husband suffers from Parkinsons disease and anxiety. He

This answer was rated:

my husband suffers from Parkinsons disease and anxiety. He has started to lose his balance and fall. His other symptoms are lack of mood and apathy, forgetfulness, change in gait especially small steps and turning one foot out. I think he may have nph, but cannot get his current team to investigate - possibly because I have not said outright. They seem only to look for the obvious and say these could all be the Parkinsons.
Q 1 how do I get them to consider nph
Q 2 how would I get a private neurologist to investigate.
Many Thanks
Hi. Has he at least had an MRI of his brain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No MRI. Parkinsons was confirmed by a Dat scan.

OK Barbara. Has he had then a psychiatric evaluation for the mood and memory problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not yet, We have an appointment in June.

What worries me is if it is nph we need to move more quickly I think.

I understand Barbara. NPH can be a challenge to diagnose but it does sound like it needs to be considered in his case. It would take an MRI of his brain and possibly a lumbar spinal tap to secure the diagnosis. That said, this may not be a problem with NPH but rather a combination of depression and perhaps early Alzheimer's or dementia. Usually patients with Parkinson's are referred to a neurologist. All I can suggest for now, if his doctors won't consider a referral, is that you go private and have him seen by a neurologist that way
Dr. Chip and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you