How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19324
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I work abroad and last Friday I tripped and twisted my Ankle

Customer Question

I work abroad and last Friday I tripped and twisted my Ankle within 2 hours the bruising and swelling started. Now 6 days on the swelling and bruising have gone however I am still in Pain I have strapped the ankle myself and return to the UK on Thursday, I think I have torn or stretched my Ligaments. This is the 6 th time in 20 years same ankle. Will a plaster cast help. It did last time 12 years trouble free. Any advice would be great many thanks. Patrick.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

In a more severe ankle sprain, a cast can be much better than strapping or wrapping the ankle. It is, of course, impossible to determine the severity of an ankle sprain over the internet, but having persistent significant pain certainly would be suspicious that it is more severe and may need casting.

In someone with significant pain, 6 days after injury, it would be appropriate to be seen by your doctor.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok many thanks can I ask for a plaster cast to immobilize the ankle as in my opinion this would help far mate then a normal strap bandage, only I believe it would be more beneficial. Ie for 10 days.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you certainly can request that a cast be placed. The physician will follow their professional judgment, but will consider your preferences in the decision making process.