How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36147
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

Even at 77, I play tennis from 4 to 6 hours each week. I play

Customer Question

Even at 77, I play tennis from 4 to 6 hours each week. I play very actively, but I feel no discomfort in my legs, and they seem very willing to respond to all that I ask of them.
However I have difficulties in walking very far. Pain in my right thigh becomes increasingly severe, and relief can only be found by squatting down for a few seconds. On standing there is temporary relief, but within two or three hundred yards, the pain again becomes excruciating.
Also I have discovered that I cannot stand for any length of time (I sing in a choir).
This problem needs sorting out, as my wife has to do all the dog walking at the moment, about which she is not too happy.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like

There are two possibilities here and actually this may be a combination of both

One would be claudication--a problem with the arterial blood flow in your leg.

The other would be a disk problem in your lumbar spine even if you don't have much in the way of back pain. You may have a ruptured disk that's pressing on a nerve root

If you talk to your doctor about this, if I were him I'd get Doppler flow arterial studies of the leg and an MRI of your lumbar spine

If claudication is the problem, walking through the pain can help improve the blood flow but often an arterial bypass is needed.

If the problem is a ruptured disk I'd refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a hands-on treatment program that should relieve the pain problem.