How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Hasan Your Own Question
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8751
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Hasan is online now

My daughter has had a scan in hospital today which shows that

This answer was rated:

My daughter has had a scan in hospital today which shows that she has a burst appendis but her system has built a wall around it so that no material has escaped. She is on anti-biotics and may have to wait until it is safer to operate. She may come home tomorrow. She has eaten very little for the last few weeks because of pain. How dangerous will it be over the next few days if she is at home and encouraged to eat? Is it better to wait for an operation now rather than wait?
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Is there any specific reason for which they are delaying the surgery? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. They do not want the infection puss etc. to enter the blood system if the wall surrounding is damaged,

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. In my opinion your daughter needs to be operated as soon as possible. There is no point waiting because it is a general rule that once puss has formed, it has to be drained. Antibiotics are never helpful once pus has formed. Rather they aggravate the problem by forming antibioma. Antibiotics are only useful once pus has drained. Even if they give antibiotics for one week, the puss will still be there and the risk of spreading will still be present. I am sorry but it will be extremely dangerous to just wait at home and encourage eating. Any how I mentioned all this for your knowledge and you don't need to stress yourself. Since 7 weeks have passed, hopefully things will not aggravate. You should contact his general surgeon and ask him to give his opinion regarding operating her as soon as possible and if you have already seen a surgeon then ask for second opinion. You should take care of the following symptoms and if anyone of these appear, you should go to ER straight away; Vomiting, fever, severe abdominal pain, constipation etc. I hope I have clarified all your concerns. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My best wishes and prayers will follow her. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you