How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36122
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

My daughter is 23 and diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a few years

This answer was rated:

My daughter is 23 and diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a few years back. She moved from Ireland (home) to Dubai for work with an airline company (irregular long hours). She has also been B 12 deficient in the recent past (2014) requiring twice weekly I.m. Injections then 3 monthly until the level was at the upper end of the normal range. Her B 12 deficiency was not due to Pernicious anaemia as her intrinsic factor was normal. Again this was done a few years ago. She is complaining of extreme fatigue , Difficulty waking ."foggy feeling" for past 2 months approx and it seems to be getting worse. She is exceptionally pale. The airline doctor changed her thyroxine dose (t4) when she joined to 100mcg/day. She has never been prescribed T3. ( argument for same appears strong from my reading and research) . Her B 12 was checked 8 days ago and in Dubai came back around 250. Because it was in the normal range she was told she did not need replacement.i am very worried about her health at present as I feel she needs to consult with a good endocrinologist who works with thyroid patients and vitamin deficiencies. Can you please advise re B 12 situation and also if possible recommend an endocrinologist ??? I would be most grateful . Bernie

Hi. We can certainly continue after this if you'd like.

She definitely needs an endocrinologist for two reasons--it sounds as though she is still hypothyroid and her TSH level needs to be kept around the 1.0 range.

She also needs a B12 booster injection and to resume the injections if she is no longer taking them

Here's my endocrinologist reference for you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think that the B 12 should be maintained at the higher end of normal range for someone who is hypothyroid ? I actually found this endocrinologist myself from google you have any other to recommend please ... ?
Should she have T3 replaced too ?
Yes--her B12 level needs to be higher considering she's also hypothyroid, And I think she should be switched to Armour thyroid
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
O k thank you for that . I know nothing of Armour thyroid ..can you elaborate a little on this please particularly with regard to constituents of this drug and it's benefits also compared to thyroxine. Is it more active or does it maintain better control ? If so how ? Apologies for all the questions but I really need to arm her with useful relevant information for a good person to person consultation !!

It's natural thyroid hormone and a combination of both T3 and T4. I find it much better for controlling the levels and the TSH than the synthetic thyroid hormone replacements.

Absolutely no problem with the questions and let me know if you have any more.

Dr. Chip and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's very interesting and very useful thank you.

My pleasure

Keep in touch and please remember to rate my service to you Bernie