How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9930
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now

My iron level us 7. I was started o folic acid and ferrus

This answer was rated:

My iron level us 7. I was started o folic acid and ferrus sulphate
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The normal reference range for Iron levels is measured in two units, micrograms/dL and micromol/L.
For micrograms/dL the normal range is 50-180. And for micromol/L it is 8 to 30.
I think yours would be the later units since, a level of 7 micro-mol/L necessitates oral iron supplementation. If this were in micrograms/dL, then your doctor would have started you on Parenteral iron supplements (IV).
It will take a month for your iron to get back in to the normal range with the value you have. Meanwhile, your doctor should look for the cause of the iron deficiency.
You should have your stool tested for occult blood, full blood count to rule out anemia, transferrin levels and TIBC levels done at the least.
Let me know if there is anything else you require to know about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My girlfriend consultant did say I was anemic.

Okay, then your doctor needs to find out the cause of your anemia. This can be done by further testing. The cause of the anemia can either be blood loss through the GIT, excessive and irregular Menstruation, destruction of blood cells within the body due to any cause, anemia primarily due to the iron deficiency (which can be caused by lack of iron rich diet, defects in iron absorption etc.).
So, basically, more tests and investigation is required here. Some of the tests that I have mentioned in my previous post need to be done.
I would suggest that you keep a close follow up with your doctor and ask for a referral to an Internist (medical specialist) for a thorough review.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Dr Uzair and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you