How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19435
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Heart rate 180 per minute, resting chest pains similar to hiatus

Customer Question

heart rate 180 per minute, resting chest pains similar to hiatus hernia
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

A rapid heart rate of 180 associated with chest pain usually requires being seen urgently. The only common exception would be if this is recurring and you have already been checked with previous episodes and were told that you do not need to be checked during recurrent episodes.

The most common cause of this would be atrial fibrillation, in which there is no organized electrical activity in the upper chamber of the heart. With atrial fibrillation, it can interfere with the pumping action of the heart, cause poor blood supply to the heart, and increases the risk of developing strokes. The impaired pumping action of the heart can cause the need to sit up to sleep. It is because of all of these risks that it is recommended to be seen urgently for this.

There are some other abnormal rhythms that also can cause a heart rate of 180, such as supraventricular tachycardia, but it is much less common for these other rhythms to cause a heart rate of 180.

There is little that can be done for this at home. Controlled breathing exercises may help to lower adrenalin levels, so may help somewhat in the heart rate. But good control of this typically requires medicines that can only be obtained from a doctor.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.