Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

I suffer from post nasal drip . mucus goes down into my stomach

I suffer from post nasal drip . mucus goes down into my stomach and gives me really noisy wind-farting. What can I do.
Hi there. Thank you for your question.I will be helping you out with your queries.Since how long are you having this problem?Have you been seen for this and examined for this?Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?Please let me know.Kind regards
You can either continue your session here or email me on the following:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Isuffer perennial rhinitis and have nasal polps. i have had the wind problem quite a long time. there is nothing wrong but I get wind about an hour after eating and it is noisy. I have been examined.i suffer over anxiety and take 2 mgs. of diazapan twice a day.

Are you on anything for your perennial rhinitis?
Are you on any medications for that?
Your post-nasal drip is almost certainly due to your perennial rhinitis and the nasal polyps that you are having which is something that needs to be treated.
As long as your rhinitis continues so will your post-nasal drip and other problems associated with it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my nasal polps have been removed but keep coming back. I take beconese spray and fexofenadine for the rhinitis

Is there any improvement with beconese spray and fexofenadine? or they do not work at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can cope with the rhinitis it is the farting that is embarrassing. Is there any thing I can take to release wind quietly?

I personally do not think that the post-nasal drip that you are having has anything to do with the farting that you are having.
For the farting you need to modify your diet a little bit, if you have not tried doing that already.
You should try and avoid the following foods to help reduce gas and farting:
Brussels sprouts
Carbonated drinks
Chewing gum
Fruits, such as apples, peaches and pears
Hard candy
Milk and milk products
Sugar alcohols found in sugar-free foods (sorbitol, mannitol and xylitol)
Whole-grain foods
Also you should take omeprazole 40 mg once daily or 20 mg twice daily to help reduce gas which will in-turn help reduce gas and farting.
Quite often this problem is related to increased acidity leading to increased gas and farting.
Also over-the-counter suspensions like 'gas-X' that contain simethicone also help reduce gas as well.
So I would recommend taking omeprazole, gas-X along with modifying your dietary habits to see if it helps with your farting.
Let me know if you have more questions.