How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19430
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Is it possible that a 15 year old boy, who is very intelligent,

Customer Question

Is it possible that a 15 year old boy, who is very intelligent, but has some social issues.
no diagnosed of health problems, or any type of drug use, finds it difficult to communicate his feelings. Is being excluded from school, can be argumentative with certain adults but none with others.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, there are certain conditions that can affect social interactions. The difficulty with social interactions can be manifested as either a difficulty in expression of their personal feelings or a difficulty in recognizing the emotional status of others.

There are other possible manifestations, such as a difficulty in expressing or recognizing certain aspects of non-verbal communication, including speech inflection, nuances of speech, or body language. Certain aspects of humor also may pose difficulty.

Difficulties in social interactions can occur as a symptom of a psychologic condition, such as clinical depression. But if there are no other psychologic issues, these difficulties would be considered a primary social interaction problem, which would be a form of autism. In an adolescent that is otherwise doing well, it would be a high functioning form of autism, rather than the more debilitating form that most people associate with autism. The most common diagnoses for high functioning autism is Asperger syndrome or Pervasive Developmental Disorder, not otherwise specified.

The best option for doing an assessment for these types of problems would be by a developmental specialist or a Psychologist that can perform detailed testing for these social interaction difficulties.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.