How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35493
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have a swollen lump by my anas. no puss is coming out. I

This answer was rated:

I have a swollen lump by my anas. no puss is coming out. I can't see an ingrowing hair. How can I get rid of it?

Hi--can you tell me more please?

How long has it been there?

Is it very tender and painful?

Have you ever had something like this before?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No first time. It is sore. Came up yesterday

OK--How large is it and is it outside your anus?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes outside and about the size of a five pence piece

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about the size of a five pence piece. Outside

OK, Then it isn't a haemorrhoid.

This is what's called a perirectal abscess and unless it comes to a head and drains on it's own you'd need to have a doctor drain it.

For now you can try sitz baths--soaking in a tub of warm water with Epsom salts in it for about 15 minutes three or four times a day. In between that you can applie an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin.

But unless this opens and drains on its own within the next two days you'll need to see a doctor about it

Let me know if you need any more information please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it possiable to drain it myself? Would anti biotic's get rid of it

You really shouldn't try to drain it yourself--there'd be a risk of spreading the infection that way. Oral antibiotics could likely take care of it with its having to be drained so it would be best for you to have a doctor look at it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Antibiotics would work? which? I'm in a difficult situation not in the UK and will be hard to see a doctor.

Either Augmentin 875 mg twice a day or Septra DS twice a day for ten days would likely work.
Dr. Chip and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you