How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36147
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

Sharpish pain on left side at the hip (like a 'stitch' when

This answer was rated:

sharpish pain on left side at the hip (like a 'stitch' when running) intermittent

HI. How long has this been going on? Is the pain actually in the hip area?

And have you had any x-rays or scans to look at the problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This has been going on for approx. 3 months. Pain just above the hip bone in the soft flesh in the, I suppose the kidney area. Appears to be near the surface. I have not had any x- rays or scans to the moment. Pain goes away while I am resting and appears sometimes to move towards my back but mainly sharp pain just above the hip

OK--so the pain is locately in your back Robert? Any lumps or tenderness there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, pain 95% of time just above the hip bone left hand side - just occasionally seems to move to back. No lumps or tenderness but only fairly sharp pain/tenderness above the hip bone where the pain is.

OK--just wanted to make sure since that's nowhere near where your kidneys are.

We can certainly continue after this if you'd like Robert, but were I your doctor I would first start with x-rays of you lumbar spine, pelvis and hip. I would also get an MRI of the lumbar spine and hip.

There are a few possibiities here--

One would be either a hip bursitis or tendonitis.

Another would be a disk problem in the lumbar spine.

A third might be sacroiliitis.

Depending on the actual cause I would refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for hands-on treatment that should resolve your symptoms

Dr. Chip and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you