How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 3064
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now

Is it possible to get an approximate date/time of death of

This answer was rated:

Is it possible to get an approximate date/time of death of a stillborn at 37 weeks from a post mortem result as an obstetrician has told me they would only be able to narrow it done to sometime between the last scan done and the last living scan
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. First let me say how sorry I am that you're dealing with something like this. It's heartbreaking. Yes it's possible depending on the details of the situation. But your Ob may be estimating as close as possible. The way we do it is by examining the baby and seeing how much tissue degeneration there is. The best person to figure this out is a forensic pathologist. If an autopsy was done, the person doing the autopsy should be able to provide a ballpark. Usually there is a State pathologist assigned to make such determinations. Please reply if I can provide more details or clarification.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There was a post mortem done and the OB has only give us her verbal version of it and refuses to gives us a written copy so we are going on dates that she has told us not necessarily what the pathologist has stated

You have the right to request a copy of the report. I can't understand why the Ob would refuse you like this. Maybe she is trying to spare you the unpleasantness of reading the frank wording in the report. But you have a right to have a copy of the actual report. The way to do this is to sign a medical record release for the records to be release to you. Legally, your doctor must do this. Then, if you choose to, you can have the report reviewed elsewhere, etc.
Dr. C. and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you