Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.

Very delicate question my 8yr old granddaughter enjoys masterbating

Very delicate question my 8yr old granddaughter enjoys masterbating is this normal because I'm repulsed by it

Hi. I need a little more information first please

When did she start doing this?

How often does she do it?

What does she say when asked about it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She goes up stairs in secret or sometimes if you lie beside her with your back to her .she never asked questions .and when I ask why she does it the answer is I don't know.It started about 6months ago

OK Jackie. I understand your concern but actually this is normal in children her age. The only time it really is concerning is if they do in in public or seem to be doing it all the time. For now, you really shouldn't worry about this but you could talk to her pediatrician about it. Here's a link with more information