How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58375
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

I have a pain in the upper side of my mouth and cheek, it is

This answer was rated:

I have a pain in the upper side of my mouth and cheek, it is localised around the back upper teeth, I have a bad taste in my mouth as if there is some kind of fluid or mucus coming from this area but I am not sure what, I have had it for about a year and a half, it is a chronic, recurring soreness(but there does not seem to be any visual manifestation of it in my mouth). I originally thought it was my teeth and went to see a number of dentist but they said there was nothing wrong with my teeth, I then thought it might be a sinus infection problem but antibiotics appeared to have little effect. After this I left the problem not being able to find a solution and it seemed to be getting slowly better but over the past few months it has reoccurred with a gap between the two back teeth where it is located starting to appear, so I went to the dentist again recently, he identified that there was significant decay between these two teeth and he put in a filling although this has sorted the decay for the moment I am quite sure it is not the real problem(it is still sore). He also identified that my gum was receding around these teeth (along the upper side of my mouth) but ascribed this to over brushing of my teeth, I think this is a plausible explanation but it might be from some other cause. I am concerned that this underlying problem, if left, will again cause the teeth to decay and be more difficult to fix in the future. More recently(the past few months) my body has started to feel aches in joints, similar to what one feels with a mild few condition it comes and go, lasting maybe a week at a time. Other than this I feel like I am underweight although exercising and eating well I find it very hard to put on any weight, I have less energy than I feel I should have but look quite well.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Does it hurt to touch your face on the outside?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not particularly

was the parotid gland investigated as a source of chronic infection?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I think this might be the issue. Parotitis is very common and can present with what feels like tooth pain. I would get your parotid gland checked. An ultrasound is a good test for this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I should go to my GP? will he be able to conduct an ultrasound?

yes and yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, what would be a typical cure to this infection if this was the problem?

antibiotics. sometimes surgery if there are stones blocking the outlet
Dr. Phil, MD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you