Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323
Medical

I had an operation 6 weeks ago on my upper spine 3/4 and disc

removed, plate screws inserted and... Show More
removed, plate screws inserted and cage on 5/6. Since then I have intense pain in my shoulders, arms wrists and losing power in my legs. Is this normal. Thank you.
Show Less
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
That is due to the nerve compression from the surgery.
Possible there is edema or swelling in the spinal cord causing the symptoms.
Hence, you need to discuss with your surgeon.
High dose steroid course will help.
Also physical rehabilitation should be considered to address your symptoms well.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that but in Ireland we do not have places where you can go for physical rehabilitation, so what else would you suggest. Thanks

Physical therapy if possible.
if not, then I will suggest oral dexamethasone 4 mg twice daily for 1week, then reduce the dose gradually.
dexamethasone is strong steroid will reduce inflammation over time.
This is cheap and available in your country.

Best wishes
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that info I will contact my Surgeon tomorrow and see what he suggests at least I have your Answer to go by. Thanks.

Very welcome

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please click on Excellent service so that the website allows me to assist you further :)