How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35589
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have a drink problem and my GP thought that I would benefit

This answer was rated:

I have a drink problem and my GP thought that I would benefit from taking antabuse medication especially as I work and have an extremely stressful job. This was also suggested by the alcohol abuse team member at a hospital I was being treated at. I was very very keen to start the medication as it had helped a number of aquaintences in my smart group. However after being referred to Lifeline the nurse there said I was a binge drinker and did not meet the requirements for taking the drug. My GP was dismayed I was very upset my friends in my group could not believe this. Can I see a private clinician or psychiatrist to be assessed for antabuse and what are the 'new rules for prescribing suitable patients for antabuse?

Hi. I really don't know why you were told that and Antabuse is for binge drinking too.

Your own doctor can prescribe it for you--he would have no restrictions for that

Paul--can I ask why the negative rating--was that a mistake?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I access a clinician who will be able to assess and prescribe antabuse as my GP feels he cant prescribe as he has no experience of prescribing this medication previously.

OK--I didn't know that.

Where exactly do you live?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I live in York

OK. Here's the link your or your GP need to call

Dr. Chip and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your advice to ring the priory group was not helpful as there are no priory groups or clinics near me in York except one which deals with learning difficulties which was why I

Sorry about that. Here's the person you need to contact