How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35581
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I am 83 years old I have had an hernia few years, I

Customer Question

I am 83 years old
I have had an hernia for a few years, I have had two operations on the same side, but the last one was about thirty years ago, I read in the medical section of the Daily Mail that anybody old should just leave a hernia, but for the last two weeks, my Testicular on that side when I lay in bed swells up double, but when I get up and walk it reduces back.
can you advise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddie.

There are two possibilities here but you need to have a doctor check this out--

One would be what's called an indirect hernia--the bowels goes into the scrotum

The other possibility would be a hydrocele--a sac of fluid within the scrotum itself.

You need an exam and a scrotal ultrasound for this, and you may need surgery for it

Let me know if you need any more information please