How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58741
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

I want the NHS to treat my 5cm sliding hernia with surgery.

This answer was rated:

I want the NHS to treat my 5cm sliding hernia with surgery. Is there an NHS policy which prevents this?
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
Why would there be a policy against it?
why were the referrals cancelled?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Every time I have asked why they are cancelled I am told that my GP doesn't know. I feel like I am being prevented from getting treatment due to NHS cut backs.
that is very possible why does he need surgery so bad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Currently the hernia is affecting my heart. I have lots of difficulty with bowel movements. I am unable to eat proper food and am on a mostly liquid diet and hence losing weight. Have pain in eating proper food right hand upper quadrant radiating to back. (All gallbladder etc tests ok) Struggle to walk up stairs and walk more than 100 yards. Short of breath. Unable to work and losing my company. If I don't eat my heart rate improves loads. When I eat even walking to the toilet becomes almost impossible.
then yes I absolutely need surgery
Dr. Phil, MD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help it is much appreciated.