How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35531
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have the implanton contraceptive implant and I have

Customer Question

I have the implanton contraceptive implant and I have for three years. I have only had spot bleeding now after 37 months it's so heavy and constant and causing ex stream pain. My friend said miscarriage because it's heavy and I've drank a lot but surely I wouldn't of got pregnant with the implant
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like

There is no contraception modality--even the implant--that can 100 % prevent pregnancy, and after three years the implanton can start to lose it's effectiveness.

So this could be a miscarriage, but more likely it's a hormonal problem possibly from a ruptured ovarian cyst.

That said, with the heavy a bleed you need to see your doctor for an examination, blood work, and a pelvic ultrasound

Let me know if we need to discuss this further please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I go to the doctor after the bleeding has stopped will then still be able to see what was wrong? I can't go until tomorrow evening
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

That would be fine and still, even if the bleeding stops it will be possible to tell what's gone on.

Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it was a miscarriage it would be about 8 weeks. I googled what a misscarge is like at this time and my bleeding matches it identically what would you recommend to ease it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--to ease it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To make it less painful
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Well for now ibuprofen and chamomile tea is about all you can do at home.

A hot water bottle or a warm moist towel over your abdomen can help also