How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 49168
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

I get up to pass urine every 2 hour's at night, I had blood

This answer was rated:

I get up to pass urine every 2 hour's at night, I had blood test for postate which has come clear.
Please let me know what I can do as I am not having a good sleep I am loosing my temper. I am 72years old male.
This is Dr. David

you most likely are suffering from enlarged prostate or benign prostatic hypertrophy which can block the outflow of urine from the bladder at night time and cause frequent urination.

I see you have tried flomax which is tamsulosin which can help with relaxing the bladder neck muscles to improve urine flow. the max dose is two pills at night of 0.4mg which can help urine flow but can cause dizziness at night time. are you taking one or two pills now?

there are medications like proscar (finasteride) or avodart which can over time help shink the prostate gland.

you should also minimize how much fluid you drink at dinner and dont' drink any coffee or tea or any fluids after dinner

as the last resort, you need to have your doctor refer you to see a urologist to see if you need a TURP transurethral resection of prostate tissue to enlarge a wider path for urine to flow through your urethra.

another non surgical option is to perform straigth catheterization with a red rubber catheter into your penis and into your bladder before you go to bed at night to empty your bladder so you can sleep through the night better.

your GP doctor can show you how to do self straight catheterizations on yourself

I have had patients do this as an option

let me know if you have questions.
Dr. David and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you