How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35535
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

My name is***** am 40 yrs old. As a job I am a ski & Snowboard

This answer was rated:

My name is***** am 40 yrs old. As a job I am a ski & Snowboard Instructor. My problem is that I have been having pain with clicking in my right knee walking up the stairs and down, including occasional catching feeling. I have had it for over 10 years now. I have tried ibroprofen, hot and cold treatments, cod liver oil and rub in gel. I had an x ray but that came back satisfactory. I don't know what to do now. Any advice?

Hi Angela.

It sounds as though you have a problem with a torn meniscus in that knee and that a small piece of it is occasionally getting into the joint and causing the clicking and catching

You need an MRI of the knee to evaluate that and although I would first have you undergo physical therapy, given your occupation I think you'll require arthroscopic surgery to repair this since otherwise it will only get worse in time

Let me know if you need any more information please

Dr. Chip and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you