How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35528
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I lost my Dad a few months ago (April). My brother and me

This answer was rated:

I lost my Dad a few months ago (April). My brother and me haven't had the opportunity to grieve simply because my Mother has taken the loss terribly. She is already medicated with antidepressant, anti dementia (after being diagnosed after my fathers demise) and betablockers. The problem is, she's turned to drink. She consumes about two (possibly three) bottles of Gin a week, is in total denial and appears to have lost all sense of reality. We have to visit her every day just to make sure she eats and is safe. Where can we go to get help as it is starting to affect my 28 year marriage as I cant relax with the worry? My brother is the same. There is the occasional Social worker attending but this just results in what appears to be a care plan that isn't worth the paper its written on. Where can we go and what can we do.
Hi. I fully understand what you're going through
First question--have you approached her doctor about this?
Secondly--how is she obtaining the gin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not specifically about the drinking (Gin) though we do intend to do it this week.She does live near a shopping precinct were it is widely available
OK--what kind of care plan is the Social Worker offering?
And is it feasible for someone to live with her for now or have her live with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The care plan was orientated around the care of both my parents as my Dad had severe demetia. I suspect this has now lapsed and she gets the occasional visit from a care Nurse.Regarding living with someone, this is impossible as myself and my brother work away for long periods and my wife and sister in law both have elderly parents.
OK I understand.
You need to let her doctor know about this right away
She needs psychiatric evaluation and she can be involuntarily committed as a danger to herself.
There also may be a need for your or your brother to obtain a power of attorney ruling so that you can be in control of her finances.
Let me know if you'd like me to continue the conversation please
Dr. Chip and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you