How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gehring Your Own Question
Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 26312
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Gehring is online now

I'm female, 52 years old with no health conditions. At night

This answer was rated:

I'm female, 52 years old with no health conditions. At night time when I'm lying down in bed I experience a dull sensation going across my rib cage, about 1.5 inches below my breast bone. It's like a band of pressure about 0.5 inch wide going across from one side of my ribs to the other. It's slightly stronger on my right side.
Could it be a muscle spasm?
Could it be my pancreas? My homeopath once told me that despite not being diabetic, there is too much sugar in my diet and my pancreas isn't coping with it. Could it be this?
Could it be an ulcer?
Could it just be indigestion?
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
If the pancreas couldn't cope with the sugar in your diet, you would have increased blood sugar levels (and be diabetic!), bu no pain.
Neither a pancreatitis nor a gastritis or ulcer bring increased pain while lying down. Thus the most probable reason for your discomfort is a condition of your spine. When the vertebra of the chest are compressend by lying down, the nerves that run from the spine alongside the rib cage to your stomach are getting irritated.
I would see an orthopedist or try ibuprofen and physiotherapy.
Best wishes!
Dr. Gehring and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you